Re: [Healeys] CA AB 3053

To: "Healey Mail List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] CA AB 3053
From: "Len and/or Marge Hartnett" <thehartnetts@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 16:25:32 -0700
Patton:  I believe that there are individuals and organizations out there
that would like to see all old cars removed totally from the road.  This
does not apply to California alone.  There are fourteen (I think) other
states that follow California in it's pollution policies.  The
individuals/organizations believe that SMOG should be reduced to zero and no
costs, economic or social, should be considered.  Back in April, 2005, the
spokesperson for the American Lung Association of California stated, before
a vote of the Air Resources Board that unanimously adopted a new limit on
ozone levels, that the board should only consider public health - not
expense - when considering the new guideline.

AB 616 and AB 3035 did not impact our Healeys as they are currently exempt
and would continue to be so.  However, once a foot gets in the door, or the
camel gets its nose under the tent, or......I think you get the idea.

The problem is serious enough that organizations such as the Association of
California Car Clubs, Sema Action Network, and individual car clubs keep
tabs on pending legislation and alert their members.  Contact with our
legislators is encouraged and it appears that such action may have been the
reason for AB 3053 not passing.  Considering the number of car clubs in
existance for virtually every model and year of automobile, I am hopeful
that that we can continue to prevent further intrusion into our 'hobby'.

(The Other) Len
Vacaville, CA, USA
1967 AH 3000 MkIII, HBJ8L39031