Re: [Healeys] Chroming Question

To: richchrysler@quickclic.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Chroming Question
From: Warthodson@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 15:52:01 EDT
Rich,
I was recently faced with the same dilemma. I couldn't find rivets that
matched the originals, although I suspect they must exist somewhere. Further,
was concerned about my ability to re-rivet the joint correctly. I.E.  replicate
the look & structural integrity. This particular joint needs  to be very
secure because of the load imposed on the windshield from the  convertible top
&
also when a passenger uses the windshield as a grab handle  to get in & out. I
left the two parts attached & sent them off  for plating. At that time, I
didn't realize that the stanchions were  stainless steel. The plater reported
that
they were stainless, but only after he  had replated them. They came back
looking just fine, but to this day I don't  know if he plated over the
stainless
or somehow mask off the stainless,  or perhaps stainless won't take chrome
plating.
The plating was done in Kansas City, but an intermediate party dealt with
the plater for me so I don't have a direct was to verify how the job was  done.
It would probably be best to discuss this with your prospective  plater.

Gary Hodson

In a message dated 9/30/2008 8:48:25 A.M. Central Daylight Time,