[Healeys] Webers on Healeys

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Webers on Healeys
From: sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 13:54:06 +1100
Webers fitted to a Healey may work very well IF correctly matched to the other
spec. of the car, cam, gearbox ratios etc.

The 1965 works ( Donald Healey Motor Co. not BMC ) has about 10:1 compression,
alloy head-good heat transfer,3.5 diff and will do 80mph in 2nd gear and no
vacuum advance. Cam is 30/70 and quite big numbers for a BMC boat anchor. It
runs on the idle jet circuit until 2500rpm and will rev to destruction if you
dont watch carefully. It will accelerate up almost all hills. At legal freeway
speeds the throttles are hardly cracked open and on a drive where the
entertainment level is fairly high it returns 16mpg. I have driven it across
Sydney Harbour Bridge and down the centre of downtown Sydney. But the most
impressive spec. is the sound of the suck and pulse of the Webers.The fitment
is not straight foward. Works manifolds are best but will not fit without
chassis mods. In Australia there is a supplier of shorter and gooseneck style
manifolds do not require chassis mods.  Most important as John has stated is
the model of 45 Weber as the internal ports are specific to the engine
characteristics. Also most engines will require to be choked down to maintain
air flow.My set have not been tuned since 1977, but they were obviously set up
right in the first place. The Weber handbook has recommended jet sizes and
float levels recommended for Healeys. Also Colin Cambell's 'The Design of the
Sports Car Engine' also has some good advice. The total engine set up must
suit your intended use. Before you decide ensure there is a tuning shop
familiar with Webers and HAS a supply of jets and emulsion tubes. The cost of
experimenting with six sets of everything gets expensive along with dyno time.
My opion is that most unsatisfactory reports are where the dyno man ran out of
ideas,time or jets.

Joe

Blue one

Red one