Re: [Healeys] BJ8 exhaust questions

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 exhaust questions
From: "Ed Townley" <healeymonster@fastwave.biz>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 07:42:11 -0600
Robert:  my 64 BJ8 has had the straight BJ7 systems since I bought it in
1974, and I much prefer the sound to the milder BJ8 systems.  When I
replaced the system in 2001, I seem to recall some hanger alignment
problems, but my muffler shop guys just cut the offending hanger bracket
off the tail pipes, relocated, and welded it back on.  Any competent
muffler shop can do this, and exhaust systems (beyond the flex pipes or
exhaust manifold) are one thing I Never work on because the
professionals have the equipment, tools, and expertise and really don't
charge a lot to do it right.  They always hear me coming in one of my
cars, with flex pipes or headers blasting, and the new mufflers and tail
pipes in the passenger seat.  This also makes for a fun drive to the
shop, and after your ears quit ringing, you can enjoy the mellow Healey
sound all the way home.
Regards,
Ed Townley
Southern NM, USA