Re: [Healeys] alternator conversion

To: <caddi5@comcast.net>, "'HEALEY LIST'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] alternator conversion
From: "Al Fuller" <al@bighealey.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:24:54 -0500
Hey, Mitch:

I installed an alternator on my '62 BT-7, and am very happy with it.  You
asked for pros and cons, so here goes:

CONS:
- The car is no longer 'original'.  This can be un-done, though, if you or a
future owner wants

- Conversion to negative ground is pretty much necessary.  This is easy,
reversible and well documented

- Installing the alternator induced all manner of ideas for the car and
extra work to plan and implement the ideas, such as:

        -- Volt meter / ammeter or both
        -- Power port for cell phone, GPS, etc.
        -- Stereo / radio
        -- CB radio [VERY useful for multi-car driving events]
        -- High mounted third brake light
        -- Fog / Driving lights on badge bar
        -- Extra stop lights in rear
        -- Extra fuse box [located where old voltage regulator sat]
        -- Extra circuits to/from the new fuse box
        -- Review / planning of current draw to ensure all the above can be
accommodated with the new alternator

PROS:
- No worries about running out of electricity, given the high output of the
alternator
- High reliability
- Access to replacement alternators at any NAPA or equivalent auto parts
store [if the above-mentioned reliability doesn't materialize]
- No worries about using any modern accessories
- No worries about mistakes when charging or jumping the car with a modern
battery charger or negative ground car
- Headlights are brighter than with generator

I hope this helps!  [See you tonight at Healey Night!]

Al Fuller
714.335.0248