Re: [Healeys] Side Exit Exhaust

To: "john spaur" <jmsdarch@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Side Exit Exhaust
From: "Peter Hunt" <peter@easterton.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:30:17 -0000
John,

My ' 62 BT7 was at Tahoe in 2002 with a side exit exhaust (there may have
been others). The engine has standard compression pistons, twin 1-3/4" SU
carburettors, Mk III cam, Dennis Welch 6 branch exhaust (headers) to a
standard AH Spares silencer (muffler) set into the drivers door (LHD). There
are twin short length curved discharge pipes exiting just in front of the
rear tyre.

The noise level is just acceptable throughout the rpm range (balanced to
6,000 rpm) but as I drive the car with the hood down most of the time I do
wear headgear covering my ears.

On long distances, the exhaust noise could get to you but with other wind
noises, it is generally OK. I still maintain that the "best" exhaust note is
with a single silencer and twin pipes exiting at the rear, eg Mk II 6
cylinder - a true Healey noise easily distinguished miles away on a calm
summers evening.

For pictures, see www.aroundtheworld.scotland.net/auric/closeups.htm

Regards,

Peter Hunt