[Healeys] Roadster windshield new glass installation - Part 2

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Roadster windshield new glass installation - Part 2
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 10:43:23 -0500
I looked over the corner bracket kit from Moss which I think came
originally from Austin-Healey Spares.  The screws supplied are slotted
head and zinc plated; totally wrong for the original chrome plated
philips.  The ones on the top rail show, so these were no good.  The new
corner brackets themselves were also useless since they didn't pull the
frame miters together tightly like the originals.  I ended up cleaning
up my original brackets and using stainless steel philips screws.
So after getting the bracket situation resolved I installed the brackets
on the top and bottom rails and tapped them on after spraying the rubber
channel with soapy water.  The rubber is 1 1/2" wide which is much wider
than necessary, but this eliminates the need for getting it placed
perfectly and takes up any difference in the shape of the frame rails
vs. the glass.  After getting it all together I just ran a sharp utility
knife along the chrome and cut the rubber even.  The partly vulcanized
rubber cuts quite easily also.  Then I used a razor blade scraper to get
the extra contact cement off of the glass.
It is quite possible that the new glass will not be the same thickness
as the old which was the case for me.  My old glass was from PPG and for
the new I opted for Moss' standard rather than the Triplex.  I think
that all glass thicknesses nowadays are metric, but the plastic
interlayer thickness laminated between the two pieces of glass can also
vary.
This was certainly much more trouble than it should have been had Moss
supplied the correct rubber and corner bracket set.
Charlie Baldwin
'62 BT7 tricarb
York, PA

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]