Re: [Healeys] Cost of 3.54 diff

To: "Dan Stromquist" <dan@warner-associates.com>, "Healey List"
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cost of 3.54 diff
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 10:39:39 -0800
Dan:

Not much of a chance.  The diffs we are talking about are pretty much bullet
proof - especially when used in a large British sedan of the time.  I've
salvaged these things from Austin Westminsters, Wolesleys, and Morris Isis
cars - I think they were used in the Austin Princess and others, as well.
Most of them needed only a replacement pinion seal (the retorqueing is part
of that operation).  Every one that I've salvaged has run well when
installed in the Healeys that they were acquired for.  All were cleaned and
bench checked by a knowlegeable professional mechanic - especially the all
important gear mesh pattern check.

Like me, those people were interested in keeping their original pumpkins
intact (just in case!).  Also, it can cost a bit more to properly set up the
pumpkin that the new crown and pinion set is installed to - it's usually a
couple of hour of labour, plus maybe both pinion bearings and shims /
spacers to do it right.

The other thing is that Mike has been doing his production runs pretty well
by subscription - mostly all sold before they are made.  So his gearsets
might not be available when wanted - it can be a couple of years (or more)
between runs.

Cheers,  -----------  Earl