Re: [Healeys] Gas gauge

To: edic <edic@tampabay.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gas gauge
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 17:02:02 +0100
Mel,
You forget to mention the 10V voltage stabilizer. The gauge works on
10V. This stabilizer is a small metal box of about 1"x2" fitted
somewhere behind the dashboard, often on one of the big gauges. These
are mechanical devices that stabilise the voltage for two instruments
more or less on a constant 10V. They can go wrong. There are modern
solid state replacements that are more reliable and accurate.
If the gauge moves when you apply a powersource of say 9V, the gauge is
usually OK. If thevariable resistance of the sender is between 20 and, I
think, 280Ohms it is OK. Of course the float should be leek free and the
mechanism should operate smoothly.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL