[Healeys] electrc fan experience

To: "'austin healey'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] electrc fan experience
From: "rjhco" <rjh.co@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 16:21:27 -0600
I had an electric fan (similar to the one referenced from classic Car World
but from Vintage Air) mounted in front of the radiator as a pusher.  It
worked very well for city driving but at high speeds the pancake motor
blocked too much air to cool the hard working engine coolant.  A puller fan
is much, much better.

I did not have room behind the radiator, between the water pump pulley and
cooling fins, to mount the fan with pancake motor.  To solve the issue, I
installed a 'sidewinder' electric fan behind the radiator.  The sidewinder
style has the electric motor mounted off to the side with an enclosed cog
belt running the fan.  I clocked the fan so that the motor sits on the lower
left side of the engine.  The location required a short extension of the
lower water hose to place the hose behind the fan motor.

The unit that I am using employs a 16" fan with a built in cast aluminum
shroud.  On a hot day, When the fan engages, the fan motor runs less than a
minute to cool down the temperature enough to shut down.  It produces a
hurricane.  The motor draws 19 amps. The engine stays cool at high speeds
without the fan running.

Best regards,
Jim Hockert
Dallas, TX