[Healeys] BN1 Spiral Bevel Diff Parts

To: "Healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] BN1 Spiral Bevel Diff Parts
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 20:44:18 -0500
Hello Listers,

I'm working on a BN1 with the early Austin spiral bevel axle assembly. In
stripping this unit down, which has been in storage after some amateur P.O.
restoration work some 3 decades ago, I find the pinion is extremely stiff to
turn. Further investigation upon dismantling reveals that a National oil seal
showing "made in U.S.A." and a new front diff pinion bearing showing "SKF
Germany" tells me sombody's been here before! Digging deeper, there are no
shims for the bevel pinion at all. These of course are needed to adjust for
the proper pinion end float. I am having a problem finding a supplier for
these shims.

Original part numbers are:
.003" thick shim part number 1G 7261
.005" thick shim part number 1G 7262

I must also add that this assembly has not been reused or reinstalled at all,
so there is absolutely no damage done to anything YET. Hence my striping down
to investigate the situation.
Moral.....NEVER trust unknown P.O. work.

Perhaps somebody can point me in the right direction as to where I can find
these shims?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich Chrysler