Re: [Healeys] Starter Problems BJ8

To: "'Ed's Shop'" <shop@justbrits.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Starter Problems BJ8
From: "Skip Saunders" <tfsbj7@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:16:41 -0500
I've had "rebuilders" tell me my starter was ok.... and it "was almost
ok"....but they missed the hanging brush issue.     The brushes can fall
down and make good connection in the tech shop (partially because the
starter gets bumped around a bit when they are working on it and the brushes
fall to where they are supposed to be.)  However, when mounted on the car,
the solid, stable (hard to keep tongue in cheek when saying "stable" about
Healey's...but in this case it applies) non-moving car can allow the brushes
to be hung up and to not fall to where they are supposed to be.... If all
that happened was the tech guy at the starter checking place applied 12
volts, the thing would probably just sing away.   But when re-installed it
will exhibit the sporadic non-reliable behavior...

(been there, seen that)

The only way to be sure, is to check that the brush channel is very
clean...slippery even..:-) ... (and the hold down springs are in good nick
too, of course)

Thanks
-skip-

PS....when the "obvious" problem areas aren't discovered to be the fix,
sometimes the non-obvious solutions are worthwhile investigating.   I would
agree that one should think that after removal and checkout, the starter
should be ok and one should be looking at ground straps or other similar
causes....but premature elimination of a problem area has more than once
caused very long diagnosis experiences...:-)...best to cover all bases
(especially if they are easily covered...:-)  )