[Healeys] Fwd: To: The World as Defined by healeymanjim

To: healeymanjim@hansencc.net, Healey Mail List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Fwd: To: The World as Defined by healeymanjim
From: David Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:07:58 -0500
Begin forwarded message:

From: David Schweninger <quenty@ntelos.net>
Date: February 11, 2009 7:03:47 PM EST
To: <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
Subject: To: The World as Defined by healeymanjim

Ok Jim.
The first thing to do is figure out what is the biggest part you want
to remove the rust from. Keep in mind long pieces can be done one half
at a time.
I used a plastic kitty litter bucket. (not the one used by the cats,
the one used by the market). you then place pieces of iron (steel)
around the sides of the bucket.
I used 16GA. cold rolled sheet. You can use anything that contains
Iron. I used the sheet because I could drill holes in the upper
corners and hook them all together with 12Ga. solid copper wire
(stripped).
In order to hang parts in the tub I bent a piece of heavy copper wire
so it would lay across top of the tub without touching the steel
plates. I notched the rim of the bucket.
This is about a 5 gallon bucket so I put in about 3 cups of Washing
Soda. Fill the tub with water as required and your ready to go. Pick a
part and hang it on the cross bar. Hook the minus clip of battery
charger to your part and the plus clip to the steel plates.
Keep in mind this process splits the water back into hydrogen and
oxygen (bubbles) in small quantities. If you get a lot of bubbles try
putting the charger on 6V. Keep it out in the open with adequate
ventilation.In other words don't put it in a cabinet and close the door.

  I left really rusty stuff in over night. some things only a few
hours. Most of the rust will fall off or you can knock it off. If
there is loose paint with rust under it, it will sometimes fall off too.
You can't hurt any thing by leaving it in too long. The water and soda
is non toxic altho it gets pretty goopy after a while.
I remove the parts and wash them off under running water. I use a wire
scrub brush or steel wool. Sometimes there is a black scum which
washes off easily.

I blow dry everything as it will start to rust in a matter minutes.
Paint, plate or oil ASAP.

Hope this helps

              Dave and Daisy

On Feb 8, 2009, at 10:58 PM, <healeymanjim@hansencc.net>
<healeymanjim@hansencc.net

alright dave, tell me how you do that?  the world wants to know.  hjim