[Healeys] Tulip Ratio Gearbox

To: Healey <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Tulip Ratio Gearbox
From: Joe and Lenore Armour <sebring@illawarra.hotkey.net.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 00:40:04 +1100
The homologation papers of 1963 or 64 list from memory four (4)
different sets of gear ratios that Healey 3000's had available to use.
Tulip ratios were rather evenly spread and allowed the more effective
use of overdrive between 3rd and 4th. This is not what I would call
'close ratio'
Sebring ratios were for the two long straights at Sebring ( an old WW.11
airfield ) and 3rd and 4th were very close together and even 2nd was
close to 3rd. Therefore a 'close'  set of ratios. I have done close to
80mph in 2nd with old higher profile tyres fitted.  1st  gear is much
higher than standard and nothing like a street crawling gear. Sebring
ratios meant that if an overdrive is fitted, 3rd overdrive is almost as
fast as 4th and therefore not particularly useful.
I remember having a contest with a 911 Porsche late on night on the way
home from the Healey Club meeting and when it came to climbing the hills
south of Sydney the Porsche driver was getting p----d that the old
Healey was pegging him.

Joe