Re: [Healeys] Tulips and other obscure terms

To: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Tulips and other obscure terms
From: "Peter Hunt" <peter@easterton.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:32:01 -0000
Patrick,

Pat Moss had a London taxi low ratio back axle put in her Healey (URX 727)
for the 1960 Liege-Rome-Liege rally.

This cut the top speed from 120/130 mph to about 80 mph in direct top gear
with a top crusing of only 70 mph, but the acceleration was fantastic.

There is a good section in Peter Browning's book - The Works Big Healeys,
page 80/81

The Liege-Rome-Liege Rally was one of the toughest rallies of its time and
crews and cars were scheduled to last for 96 hours without a stop.

Pat Moss and her co-driver/navigator Ann Wisdom won this Rally with Pat
driving for 90 out of the 96 hours. Out of 81 starters only 13 survived to
finish with three Austin Healeys amoungst the 13.

As Peter Browning writes " Truly it was the marque's finest hour".

Peter Hunt