Re: [Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany

To: Healeyguy <healeyguy@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Carb Adjustment Epiphany
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:37:41 +0800
All -

I think what causes confusion here is when tuning the carbs, you are only
supposed to lift the piston 1/32" (i.e. NOT the lifting pin).  When I focus
on this, I get very good tuning results by lifting the piston only 1/32" on
the specific carb I am tuning.  I suspect if you lift the piston more than
1/32", then the opposite Volvo carb technique starts working a little better
than the workshop method.  I can probably bet most of you lift the piston
closer to 1/4" - when you do this results can be very inconclusive and
confusing.

The reason why lifting only 1/32" is difficult to achieve is .... with the
piston lifting pin it is difficult to tell when it is engaging the piston
and therefore it is hard to determine if you have lifted the piston such a
small amount - 1/32".

It is actually better to use  a small screwdriver or finger and lift the
piston directly (i.e. with the air cleaners off), then you know for a fact
that you've only lifted it approximately 1/32" of an inch.  When you do it
this way, you can really get excellent results.

I can promise you my A90 (owned by moi for only one year) has probably never
idled so smoothly than when it was new from the factory.  That four cyl
actually now idles much smoother than my Jag Mk IX 3.8....

Alan

'52 A90
'53 BN1
'64 BJ8