[Healeys] More choke cable info --

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] More choke cable info --
From: "Earl Kagna" <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 11:12:21 -0700
We're working on a BJ8.  Has anyone tried to resuscitate the original
primary cable assembly - in order to retain the twist-lock feature?  The
replacement cable assemblies are a pull out friction deal that everyone says
does not work very well - we do have one in hand if necessary.

On our car, the inner cable end has been frayed and repaired (as usual) and
is now too short - leaving us with not enough cable to fully choke the
carbs.  I'm thinking that a fix might be to somehow 'sweat' the cable out of
the knob assembly, and simply solder a replacement length of bicycle cable
in, without destroying the plastic knob with heat.  We have absolutely no
extra length to the cable housing, so shortening that will not work to give
us our extra travel.  Carbs are off the car right now for rebuild, so now is
the time.

Anyone had any experience with this?  Any and all input appreciated.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8