Re: [Healeys] Elevation effects on SU carbs

To: "'healeylist'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Elevation effects on SU carbs
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:45:45 -0400
Lin, I normally motor around in my Healey at sea-level eastern North
Carolina.  Twice now I have driven my BJ8 in Colorado and have not made any
carb adjustments at all.  The only obvious effect I have noticed was at the
top of Pike's Peak (14,000 ft) and last summer at the summit of Wolf Creek
Pass (10,000 feet).
The carbs will become richer with altitude because the air pressure is less
and the air is less dense but the fuel flow stays the same.  If you want to
compensate, you should lean them out.  But I wouldn't bother unless you are
going to stay at the very high altitudes.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA