Re: [Healeys] Body Filler (Putty)

To: 'Austin Healey list' <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Body Filler (Putty)
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 22:16:03 -0700
I've found Evercoat materials to be good.  I really like metal filled
stuff rather than talc or glass bead filled polyester.  It seems to be
waterproof and keeps moisture from reaching the steel underneath. Also
it has a marginal bit of greater strength.

In my experience there is nothing about aluminum that makes polyester
fillers break or crack worse than steel.  Both will pop filler off the
metal if you bend the metal enough.  if you have the skill to finish
aluminum to its final contour without filler, be my guest.  I would
rather keep the aluminum as thick (stiff, strong)  as possible and
skim coat where needed.

Once you have the contours just about right, the glazes and similar
stuff are good for the final surfacing.

-Roland