Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Keys Order

To: "Dan Stromquist" <dan@warner-associates.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BJ8 Keys Order
From: "gary brierton" <gbrierton@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 12:33:50 -0400
My 1976 BJ8 was built January 5th 1967 and it's original ignition key is
number FS 906, as verified by the Heritage Certificate and the key in my
hand.  By the way the key is shaped as you describe, text on each side as
you describe and is gold toned.  The accompanying key is also gold toned,
says MADE IN ENGLAND on the number side and WILMOT BREEDEN and UNION on the
other side.  Note how that text is on sides differently than the ignition
key.  This key is numbered FS 884 and the shape is oval....(_______)...with
the business end extending down from the bottom of the oval.   Both are
quite worn. The ignition key fits the ignition and the doors; the other key
fits only my glove box.   I think this is because I have a third key, shaped
like the original ignition key, not gold tone, texted as the original
ignition key, numbered FS 877 and it fits the trunk.  I conclude that this
is an "after market" key (though probably from the car's early history) for
a replacement trunk lock.   It does open my trunk.
I also have owned two new from the showroom BJ8's (one purchased in Spring
1965 and one in Summer 1967) and a "used" BJ8 purchased in 1977.  By memory
(HaHa) their keys looked as my two original current keys look.
Not an iron-clad bit of info, but maybe helpful.
GaryB