Re: [Healeys] Gas dripping from Manifold rear Drain pipe

To: John Soderling <bighealey@astound.net>, Healey List
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gas dripping from Manifold rear Drain pipe
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 14:02:08 +0800
John -

Not all after market fuel pumps are appropriate for use with British
cars.  If they pump too much pressure (most aftermarkets do) then it
will push too much fuel into the carb and override the float's cut off
jet, and flood the carbs and overflow on the garage floor.

You have to get a pump that pumps at 4 psi or less, preferably less
than 2.5 PSI.  Do your research on the Facet pumps, they are not all
the same.

Also make sure your float jets are clean and free of crud.  A lot of
times old pumps go bad because the fuel tank/lines are full of rust /
crud and thus the pumps get clogged up and break.  Then you put a new
pump on and it starts pumping lots of backed up crud into your carbs,
clogging the float jet needles open causing your flooding problem.

I'd reccommend draining your fuel tank and cleaning it out,  I bet
there's a nice pile of crud in it.

Alan

--
Alan