Re: [Healeys] Great Bluetooth Headphone for the Healey

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Great Bluetooth Headphone for the Healey
From: Kent McLean <kentmclean@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:34:17 -0400
Heard wrote:
 > Well, I've been reading this thread and have a question.  Aside from the
 > process of dialing or answering a cell phone while driving, what exactly
 > is the difference between talking to someone on a cell phone and talking
 > to someone sitting in the car?

Situational  awareness. The passenger can usually see an upcoming situation
(such as someone cutting you off) and interrupt their end of the conversation
until the emergency is over.  The person on the other end of the phone will
not only continue to distract the driver, but may even become upset and scream
at the driver that the driver isn't listening to them.

And yes, some passengers are oblivious and some phoners are aware of the
needs of the driver.

Studies have also shown that, even with hands-free headsets, a phone
conversation is just as much a distraction as to be dangerous.
<http://www.ergoweb.com/news/detail.cfm?id=2364>

--
Kent McLean
'56 100 BN2