Re: [Healeys] Speedo

To: "R. Price Lindsay" <price@advocateadvisors.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Speedo
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:44:53 -0700
Disconnect the speedo cable and confirm that it's turning at low speeds (below
20mph).  If so,  there might be something impeding the drag cup/spindle
assembly.  Remove the speedo's bezel and glass and see if the needle can be
moved easily and smoothly with your finger.  The needle could be rubbing
against
the face plate, or there might be something binding internally (if you remove
the needle you'll lose calibration, however).

The drag cup spindle rides on a (jeweled?) bearing one one side, but sits in a
small hole in a brass bracket on the needle side.  The brass bracket is
actually
two parts, with a small screw that can pinch the two holes together.  I've
never
seen an explanation of this, but assume it's to adjust either the centering of
the spindle or apply some drag to damp the needle.

bs