Re: [Healeys] BN2 Gearbox

To: <tadeusz.malkiewicz@plusnet.pl>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] BN2 Gearbox
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 02:28:26 +0000
Tadek,
You have some pretty high powered advisers here, so I hesitate to dissent.
However, from my limited experience the gears don't seem too bad. They have
some chipping on the leading faces, but just normal wear and tear which
shouldn't cause the symptom you described, that is jumping out of gear. I
haven't been in a BN1 gearbox in a while (and hope I won't be for a while
longer), but the selector peg does seem a little wonky. If you can find one to
compare it to that might help. The fact that the gears don't seem to fully
engage suggests that there might be some lost motion in the shifter or a bent
fork. The grooves on the shifter shaft are worn by the detent balls, and I
suspect that means the detents are failing to hold the gear in engagement. The
shafts and balls need to be replaced, or if the shafts aren't available they
can be metal sprayed and ground back to shape.
Let me know what the real answer is...

Bill Lawrence

http://tinyurl.com/nas9sy