Re: [Healeys] Cool tech tech to paint wheels with tire mounted on

To: scott hall <scott.hall@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Cool tech tech to paint wheels with tire mounted on
From: Charlie Baldwin <mgcharlie@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 08:17:06 -0400
Shawn,
That sounds a bit time consuming.  I do a version of that , except I use
a few cardboard tablet backs, the 8 1/2 x 11 ones.  Usually I let a fair
amount of air out of the tire to get them in, but don't break the bead.
They are good to use over and over again, for both primer and top coat.
It has the added advantage of covering almost all of the rubber, so
there is no overspray on the tire.
Charlie

S and T Miller wrote:
> Recently saw a tech tip in a mag:  To paint a wheel with the tire mounted,
> take a deck of playing cards and insert one at a time between the rim and
> tire.  Overlap each card until you work your way around.  Great for touch up
> or possibly even a complete wheel paint job if you don't want to dismount the
> tire.  Not sure if a full deck would complete one 15 inch rim or not?  Haven't
> tried it yet.  Shawn
>
> The Millers
> "British Car Nuts"
>
> 1957 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 35299
>
> 1959 Austin Healey 100-6 BN4 77219
>
> 1965 MGB 40841
>
> 1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite AN5 34351

> You are subscribed as mgcharlie@comcast.net
>
> http://www.team.net/archive

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
mgcharlie.vcf]