Re: [Healeys] 100S

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] 100S
From: "Mr. Bill" <bn1@pacbell.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2009 23:05:37 -0700
Listers,

To add to Marv's email about the California license plate:  It is an 8,
not a B and the YOM (Year of Manufacture) plate is for a 1953
automobile.  Using the 1951 base plate, metal tags were added to the
lower right corner for each year thereafter until the new base and
alphanumeric system was changed in 1956.  The tags for 1952 were yellow
with black numbers; '53, white w/ black; '54, red w/ white and '55, gray
w/ black.  If you look carefully to the left of the numbers, you will
see a stamped 7 digit number which was the Registration Number shown on
the paper work and carried through on today's annual stickers.  1953 was
the last year when tags were issued for both front and rear.  '54 and
later was the rear only as is today's.  The '51 base plate was the last
of the larger size with the '56 being what now seems to be the
"standardized" dimensions.  Yes, more than you ever wanted to know about
CA '51 to '55 series plates!

Bill Barnett
'53 BN1 (mfg 5 Nov. 1953) with matching registration numbered tags,
front and rear.

PS:  Ron Rader, I thought you were going to publish a study on CA plates?