[Healeys] Targa Newfounland--Day Two

To: healeys@autox.team.net, caahc@yahoogroups.com, awgertoo@aol.com,
Subject: [Healeys] Targa Newfounland--Day Two
From: awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 03:33:47 -0400
All--

I received the following message from Michael Salter late last evening:

"Hi Michaelb&disasterb&we were doing really well being one of a few cars who
have cleaned every stage on day one despite appalling conditions in driving
rain but on the 7th stage of the day as we crossed the finish line something
in the engine let go and we have had to withdrawb&.B  We are of course
bitterly disappointed but I canbt justify a patch up on this valuable engine
just to try to finish.

I have yet to open the engine up but it sounds as though a rod bearing has
spun.

Maybe next year."

Just to explain, Michael's reference to DayB One and mine to Day Two in this
note stems from the fact that yesterday--Monday--was the first day of OFFICIAL
competition whereas I was using a numbering system from my initial email that
started with the Prelude (Practice) day on SundayB as being Day One.B  So when
I stated in my message at end of day one that there had a been a problem with
the differential it is clear that they fixed it and started the Official
competition yesterday, onlyB to spin a bearing at the end of today's 7th Targa
Stage.

I feel so badly for Michael--for some reason all the worse because I cannot be
there to do anything, kick ideas around, etc.B  Those of you who know Michael
understand that he is a fierce and determined competitor, with his mind
seemingly constantly playing "Whall shall we do if,,,,", so that in past
years
B when we came up against many seeming brick walls a solutuion or
workaroundB was alreadyB coming fromB Michael's lips hardlyB had I figured out
there was anything wrong!B B When I read that the decision to withdraw is made
I know just what a bitter pill this must be for Michael to swallow.

I'll pass along any further updates should I receive them but in the meantime
my heart goes out to Michael and his navigator who was filling in for me.

Best--Michael Oritt