Re: [Healeys] Fuel bill up in filler pipe

To: Keith Bailey <keithbailey5@bigpond.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Fuel bill up in filler pipe
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:33:29 +0200
Brazing in a small pipe to the top of the fuel tank on the opposite side
of the filler neck can be usefull. You can either vent directly to
atmosphere (e.g. wheel well, engine compartment, air filter box) through
a piece of tubing fitted with a restrictor (plastic, brass) of about 1mm
near the fuel tank and with the end of the tubing well above fuel tank
level (make sure water ingress is avoided), or preferably you could
braze in a similar pipe high in the filler neck and fit the tube on that.

The alternative without mods is making sure of parking the car with the
filler neck side in the highest position or to avoid parking with a
(near) full tank.

If you decide to do some welding or brazing to the tank, make sure it is
absolutely clean and contains no petrol vapour anymore. Use water and
detergent to rinse thoroughly, let dry for a few days and let compressed
air circulate in the tank for a few minutes before you start. Better
even to have it done by professionals.

Clean out the tank and seal it while you are at it.

Kees Oudesluijs
NL