Re: [Healeys] Conclave 2010

To: gbrierton@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Conclave 2010
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:00:45 EST
In a message dated 11/25/2009 5:19:48 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
gbrierton@hotmail.com writes:

Time to  dust off US Route 50???  to about Cincinnati??

On the way out to Tahoe in 2002 I swung southwest at Cincinnati and  took
56 down the north bank of the Ohio River toward  Madison.   This is VERY
pretty country and 56 is a narrow, two-lane road that has obviously  spent a
good portion of its life underwater as  there were signs  of recent repairs
from washouts.

As I drove down the river I passed several tow boats shouldering  their way
north, pushing into the current which churned its  way downstream.  The
town names in these parts are great:   Aurora, Rising Sun and Patriot to name
just a few.  Others  were nothing more than place-names on the map, the
communities  themselves casualties of the decline of the River Boat  trade.

At Madison I cruised Main Street and could not get the Healey to make it
past "Hinkle's Hamburger Shop" (Founded 1937).  They served  classic  sliders
and as I sat at the counter I wondered how these little towns manage to
stay open.  Whatever, they're a slice of Americana, and the burgers  were
great!

So, Gary, I would recommend not to straighen too much the route  to Galena:
 Heading to Madison only adds 20-30 miles and pays off  big-time.

Best--Michael Oritt