Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey 100 in Detail by Bill Piggott

To: "Dennis Yeast" <de.sk.yeast@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Austin-Healey 100 in Detail by Bill Piggott
From: "Greg Lemon" <glemon@neb.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 18:09:11 -0600
Hi Dennis, I don't have a 100 but used to and still linger on the list, it
ran when I bought it but barely, in the course of ownership redid pretty
much everything.  Congratulations, the 100 is one spcial british car, ran at
Le Mans, Sebring, designed by Donald Healey and his small crew, etc. just as
pretty and fifties British as can be.

Anywho as far as the Piggot book it is a great resource and read, but I
don't know if I'd pay $100 for one, if you haven't check Amazon.com, Ebay
etc. should hopefully come up cheaper, I think I got mine for under $30, but
that was when it first came out sometimes they go up when out of print.

You may also want to get the Anderson Moment Healey Restoration Guide or the
Clausager Orignal Austin Healey, and the factory manual for the 100, which
is the best choice for a shop manual, as there is no Haynes or Autobooks
option for the early cars.  They were printed in hardcover and seemed to
have survived pretty well, maybe better than the cars themselves, there
always seems to be a few for sale on E-bay.  If you are interested in the
history of the cars the Geoff Healey books are a great resource.

As to parts and what not for the early cars much is made new, but in some
cases you will have to rely on used, others on the list may recommend their
favorites other than the usual suspects (Moss and Victoria British).

Lastly, this list is a great resource and you will find very many helpful
and knowledgable people here.

If you decide to restore it to Le Mans spec just be sure to ask the listers
their opinion before you decide on how to refer to it unless you are
particularly thick skinned!

Greg Lemon