Re: [Healeys] Now LED's

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Now LED's
From: "Mr. Bill" <bn1@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2009 15:36:22 -0800
Hi Bob Larson, Bob Spindell and List,

First, I know absolutely nothing about the electrics and doubt I could
hold a decent conversation with either of you to Bob's! :-(

I use a homemade display case with three Lucas bulb sockets for my "show
and tell".  The sockets hold a tungsten, halogen and LED bulb for
comparison.  It's powered by my 12V battery charger.  I had no problems
leaving the bulbs on both low and high brightness for extended periods.
When asked about the positive ground, I sacrificed one bulb by putting
the charger's positive clamp on the outer (ground) section and touched
the bottom electrode with the negative clamp.  It went puff and let the
smoke out.

I anticipate being told that my charger was putting out more than 12V.
OK, if that's the case, why didn't it blow the LED in the comparison?  I
don't have too many friends with Healeys that are still positive ground
but I'll try to quickly find one for a true test.  Until such time I
will stand by my negative ground only warning.

I hope everyone's turkey is/was moist and tasty!

Bill
Red Car Enterprises