Re: [Healeys] Now LED's

To: "Mr. Bill" <bn1@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Now LED's
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 03:11:59 +0000 (UTC)
Here's an excellent explanation of diodes:
http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/Semi/SEMI_3.html

It notes LEDs may have a lower breakdown voltage when reverse-biased, but this
won't necessarily fry the diode, just allow current to pass when you don't want
it to (like in an AC circuit).

Have reversed a few LEDs, and never seen one smoke. Anyway, the fact you tried
and it ruined the unit is sufficient for me--there is probably other supporting
circuitry that didn't like reversed polarity and may have given up their smoke.
It appears at least one other maker has constructed a polarity insensitive
unit. AFAIK, LEDs will only light when properly forward-biased, these units
must have some sort of circuitry--DC-DC conversion maybe--that allows this, but
it's beyond my knowledge.

bs

Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA