Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100

To: "I Erbs" <eyera3@gmail.com>, <Awgertoo@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Muffler for Healey 100
From: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:48:53 -0000
Here in the UK a loud vehicle exhaust sound in the street is generally seen
as a bad sign.  It conjures up images of forever being stopped by the
Police, of potentially dangerous youth involvement (ie drugs, muggings,
thefts etc), of being a flash boy racer or fast uncontrolled driving.  It is
always a source of amusement to read posts where having a loud exhaust note
is a requisite.  Seeing some of the exhaust tail pipes that are larger than
the engine cylinder bore is also an amusing sight provided by 'yoof' who
cruise around in rather loud Jap cars.  Bling rules in the street parade!
Please do not get me wrong, the sound of a well tuned exhaust note is
wonderful and despite living across town and 4 miles away from what was my
nearest car tuning centre I could still hear when they had a 'good' motor on
the rolling road.  This was normally a single seat racecar on the third set
of rollers (Harry's set)that read up to 600bhp and if doing nothing else I'd
pop down there to see what it was.

A loud exhaust note does not equate to the best power output and my
recommendation would be to thoroughly research exhaust tuning, especially
tuned length savaging systems for LBCs.

Guy R Day