[Healeys] Left rear axles

To: healeys <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] Left rear axles
From: richard mayor <mayorrichard@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:24:29 +0000
I just want to second what Fred Crowley said about breaking the driver's side
rear axle at the flange. It has happened to me and I know that it has happened
to others. To my knowledge, so far, it has only happened to the left side. I
use a Quaiffe. One of the other guys has always run an open diff. I suspect
the various tracks we race on are the main factor. Most tracks run in a
clock-wise direction which means we are sliding into, driving over or just
plain hitting the FIA curbs with our left tires more than we do with the right
side. The good thing is that with the design of our cars (big Healeys that is)
you will not lose a wheel.
However, one of the racers had a break a bit farther in from the flange. It
was necessary to take some fine wire, slip it inside the housing and down far
enough over the axle shaft like a noose in order to pull the shaft out.

Richard Mayor
BN7L-466  Vintage Racer
Portland, Oregon