Re: [Healeys] spray varnishes for BJ8 dash

To: Richard Kahn <tahoehealey@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] spray varnishes for BJ8 dash
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:19:21 +0100
Depends on the finish you want. In all cases prepare the wood/veneer as
best as you can using 320 sandpaper.
If you want a high gloss finish you need a lot of coats and sanding in
between to fill up the woodgrain. However this may crack and separate in
time. The best way to go, I found, is using thinned PU boat varnish
applied by a soft brush, at least 5 thin coats with light sanding in
between the coats. Spraying would give a similar result. The first coat
needs to be sanded with 320 grade when the varnish is stil wet to fill
the grain. Very messy. After all grains are filled up leave the coat dry
thoroughly for at least two weeks and sand the final coat using 2000
flower paper on a flat board, check if all grains are filled and polish
with a good wax polish or even brass polish and finish with carnabu wax.
I did several TR dashboards that way.
If you want a satin finish polishing with a minimum of 10 layers of raw
linseed oil may be the best. Apply with a lintfree cloth in very thin
layers and rub in. Leave to dry for a week between the coats. Buff up
the final coat. It is a resilient and higly water and heat resistant
coating but you have to maintain the dashboard by rubbing on some
lindseed oil each year to keep it really nice. Easy enough.
It is best to keep a varnish coat on wood as thin as possible to avoid
cracking and separation.
Pouring on the product may lead to a very glossy and even finish but I
fear it will not last long if exposed to sun, varying temperatures and
humidities, the same goes for any thickly applied product.
Do not expect to much from the UV protection from any product. AFAIAC
there is not much between them.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL