Re: [Healeys] stub axles

To: awgertoo@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Healeys] stub axles
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2010 12:50:05 -0800
One simple test passed on by my father is the "ring test."  Hold the
axle at one end and rap the axle with a ballpein hammer--you should hear
a tuning fork-like ring; if it's a dull thud that doesn't resonate
you've probably got a crack (cracks damp the natural resonance of the
metal).

Not a substitute for a dye-penetrant test, but helpful.

bs