Re: [Healeys] King Pin with needle bearings

To: Neil Anderson <neilandcustom@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] King Pin with needle bearings
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 17:25:12 +0000
Perhaps getting away from the original point but when it comes to
u-joints I was puzzled as to why on a car that I used to own with a
centre bearing on the prop shaft had different UJs fitted although they
were the same size.

The one that hardly moved at all at the front of the prop shaft, because
the centre bearing was in line with the output of the gearbox, had a
grease nipple. The two at the rear that moved a lot as the car had soft
rear springs didn't have a grease nipple and were claimed sealed for
life.

The explanation was in line with what others had said. The UJs that
moved a lot and kept the grease and needles moving around did not suffer
from localised wear. However the one that hardly moved needed to be fed
with new grease regularly. Presumably this reduced the risk of localised
wear.

Regards

--
John Harper