Re: [Healeys] Electronic Ignition

To: Leonard Berkowitz <drberkowitz@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Electronic Ignition
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 19:03:46 +0100
The main problem seems to be the proper installation. People do not seem
to read the fitting instructions fully.
Most of the time (e.g. Pertronix or Lumenition) the total resistance
over the coil (plus ballast resistor if present) should be more than 3
Ohms. Both coil and ballast resistor are generally around 1,5 Ohms each.
So if a ballast resistor is present connect up to the balast resistor
and not straight to the coil as is often done. Also disconnect the small
white yellow wire from the starter relay, this one will short the
ballast resistor to counteract the Voltage drop on the coil when the
starter is operated.
If there is no ballast resistor make sure the impedance of the coil is 3
Ohms plus. If not get another coil with the proper impedance. Failing to
do so will lead to a fried electronic ignition after some time. It is
the reason that some systems acquired a bad name unjustfully, most of
them were fitted wrongly.
Follow the fitting instructions to the letter and all should be well.
Get the proper polarity.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL