Re: [Healeys] Gearbox

To: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox
From: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 16:59:39 +0800
Hi John -

I think Patrick's point is you have to swap the entire gearset from
the A70 box into an A90 or BN1 box.  The A70 gears themselves are not
individually interchangeable between the boxes, but are
interchangeable in complete sets into an A90 or BN1 box.  The A70 used
slightly different ratios if I'm not mistaken (at least that's what my
A70/A90 shop manual says).

I think the best way to keep the gears long term is to fill the box
with a good quality motor oil (preferably new), seal and keep in a dry
place.  If you take the gears out and keep them seperately, you run a
greater risk of corrosion on little bits here and there, esp. when you
move the stuff around.  Just be careful that you have to store the box
on its side, preferable topside up, as there is no seal on the front
of the gearbox so storing it shaft up/bellhousing down is not a good
idea.

I usually like to clean the outside of the boxes until they are free
of oil and grime, then use a permanent marker and mark any important
details on the casing (e.g. inspected gears on 25/1/2010, no rust,
filled with oil and sealed).

Best regards,

Alan

'52 A90