Re: [Healeys] Gearbox

To: Alan Seigrist <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Gearbox
From: John Harper <ah@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 13:50:20 +0000
Alan

I don't believe that I questioned Pat's point about keeping gears in
sets; I just clarified which gears had to be kept together. What I
picked up on was 'but the rest isn't'. For example, the lower forward
ratio gears did not change.

I think you will find that there is no difference in the ratios between
the early and later sets except perhaps the reverse gear.

What I do feel needs bringing out is that this interchange of gears sets
is not just a one way thing. Both the BN1 and the A70 had the later set
introduced.
The BN1 around August 1954 the A70 followed later around October 1954.
The A90 Atlantic was out of production by then so did not have this
change.

However conversion set 58G 341 was available for local repair so it is
not safe to rely on gearbox serial number to know what is inside. Also
BMC Service sometimes shipped BN1, A70 and A90 Gold Seal Gearboxes into
the 1960s with the earlier set of gears fitted.

Regards

--
John Harper