[Healeys] overdrive switches - BN1

To: "Healey List" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Healeys] overdrive switches - BN1
From: "Carr&Edwards" <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:01:29 -0500
I've searched the list archives, and couldn't find anything addressing my
current situation.

I've begun sorting out the boxful of electrical bits removed from my BN1, and
apparently one/more DPOs dealt with electrical problems by--among other
things--replacing the original O/D dash switch with a generic U.S.-made
single-pole type, as well as installing what appears to be a BJ8 throttle
switch (it looks exactly like the picture of that item in the Moss catalog).

Questions:
1)  why is the BN1 dash switch (in the Moss cat.) 10 times as expensive as the
later one?  And, since I have no intention of spending that much money for any
switch, would an ordinary single-pole switch work here?
2)  can the BJ8 throttle switch be used on the 3-speed gearboxbox's O/D?  If
so, how is that done?  When we dismantled the car, it was hooked to the
throttle linkage--but I have no idea whether the set-up ever worked, as I
never spoke to its last owner and don't know where he lives (he'd left the car
in his father's garage in 1976 when he moved away; father died in 1996, and
the executors told me son said to get rid of the car as he was no longer
interested in it--thus I am now the keeper of "Cinderella," the garage-sale
Healey....)

Apparently the gearbox itself wasn't disturbed, as it and the engine were
uniformly coated with a half-inch of black, greasy dirt.  (I haven't yet
looked the gearbox itself over.)

As always, thanks in advance!

Sarah Carr
BN1 in PA