Re: [Healeys] Bad Brakes - Now Good Brakes

To: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Bad Brakes - Now Good Brakes
From: Bob Haskell <rchaskell@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 06:34:29 -0500
Patrick,

I can't answer your question about what what wheel cylinders were used
on the 100 and 100-6.  The six was a bit heavier car, so I would expect
different cylinders.

Another option is to have the 1" cylinder sleeved back to 7/8".

Pressure is just force divided by area.  The master cylinder converts
the force from pushing on the pedal to a pressure.  As you're not
changing the master cylinder (diameter), the pressure is the same.  The
wheel cylinder converts the pressure from the master cylinder to a
force.  Rearranging the equation, force is pressure times area. The 1"
cylinder will generate more force. Area equals PI * dia * dia / 4.  7/8"
cylinder has an area of 0.6 sq. inch. 1" cylinder has area of 0.785 sq.
inch.  The area increased 30%, so the force will be 30% higher.

You've got to change all the front wheel cylinders to the same size to
keep things balanced side to side.  Or you're going to have one wheel
locking up before the other.  Then you'll have to determine if the
balance, front to rear is okay as the fronts will tend to lock up sooner
than before.

Cheers,

Bob