Re: [Healeys] Stripes/Racing stripes??????????

To: AUSTIN HEALEY CLUB <healeys@autox.team.net>, raymead@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Stripes/Racing stripes??????????
From: Jackson Krall <jackson_krall@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 18:07:39 -0800 (PST)
Ray and all
I can't answer your specific questions but here's what I know.
In a conversation I had with the iconic John Fitch at Limerock last summer, he
said Coby Whitmore invented the American racing stripe. Whitmore was a very
wellknown illustrator of the 40's/50's. His Saterday Evening Post covers will
look familiar to you. The late Mr Whitmore was Mr Fitches dear friend,
neighbor, and collaborator on the 1949, XK120 based ,Whitmore/Fitch Special,
which does not have a stripe. I regret I didn't ask him which car was the first
to wear the stripe and hope to see him again this summer to pose the question
but I have a feeling it could be a Cunningham team car. Anyone Know?
Best
JK