Re: [Healeys] Title HIstory

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Title HIstory
From: "BJ8 Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:35:11 -0500
Gary, California DMV has told me they have records on inactive vehicle
registrations going back only 4 years.  Most states have also destroyed
their older records and have them now for only 10 or 12 years back, with
some few exceptions like North Carolina (back to 1964). I wonder how the
National Motor Vehicle Title Information System interacts with the Federal
Driver's Privacy Protection Act that prohibits state DMVs from releasing any
names or addresses of previous owners, even to the current owner of the car?
Perhaps "title history" as used by NMVTIS means something different than an
identification of previous owners of the car?  Maybe it just tells you
whether the car has been reported stolen, or damaged in a flood or fire,
etc.

Yes, if anyone tries it please let us know what happens.  Almost all of us
are interested in the past history of our cars.  Because there are no other
resources to allow that to be known, I try in the BJ8 registry to document
as much "ownership history" on each car as can be known.  Most of that has
to come from the individual owners.  If what they know is not recorded
somewhere, it will be lost when they are gone.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA