[Healeys] Wheel/Tire Sizes for BN6 with Drum Brakes

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: [Healeys] Wheel/Tire Sizes for BN6 with Drum Brakes
From: Adam Nolde <adamnolde@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:14:15 -0700 (PDT)
All,

I am in serious need of help.  I'm setting up my drum brake BN6 for racing.
I'm realizing there is an issue with the fitment of the wheels and tires.

Currently the car has 4"x15" 48 spoke wheels with 165/80 rubber.  We have
removed the front spring and jacked the suspension up until the tire is inside
the fender.  There is less then 1/4" of room on the outside of the tire wall
for clearance.  However, on the inside of the wheel well I have enough room to
park a blimp.  I am seeing that everything is offset toward the outside of the
car to accommodate the brake drums.

Hendrix suggested the Dayton 459 5"x15" 72 spoke wheel, which they generally
sell for BN1-2's with drum brakes.  It has a 3.38" offset.

Does anyone have experience with 5" wheels on a drum brake BN6, if so, which
wheels are you using and what size rubber can you fit?  Does it make sense to
use the same width and offset both front and rear, or can I get an advantage
going to 5.5" rear wheel?

I am also hoping to lower my suspension a little to make things even more
difficult.

Regards,

adam nolde
HBJ8L30805