Re: [Healeys] Dog Nut Removal

To: eorr@cogeco.ca, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Dog Nut Removal
From: bighealey3k@aim.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 16:20:20 -0400
Ed, I've done it twice and the first time I set the parking brake, put the
trans. in first gear and used a 1/2 " drive socket and breaker bar with a pipe
on it long enough to rise above the rocker cover and with my brother pulling
on one side and me pushing on the other side.  With the crank shaft and
transmision and drive shaft all winding up, it was a knuckle buster when it
let loose. Ouch!  The second time I removed the nut, I rented an electric
impact wench, because I didn't have an air compressor, and it worked very well
with out all the stress of the wind up.  I did have to unbolt the engine
mounts from the frame and jack up the front of the engine enough for the
socket to clear the front frame and of course removed the radiator.  Removing
the radiator would make it easier to get the front cover off anyway.  Hope
that helps.  You might have to remove the air cleaners so they don't hit the
shroud when jacking the engine up if I remember right.  It has been several
years since.

Larry
67 BJ8

P.S.  I also tried the starter and a block of wood along with the socket and
breaker bar without any success.