Re: [Healeys] Blind rivets at rear skirt rail

To: Finespanner <mrfinespanner@earthlink.net>, john spaur
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Blind rivets at rear skirt rail
From: WILLIAM B LAWRENCE <ynotink@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 02:24:53 +0000
I've been looking for a squeezer or a set of snaps for some riveting I need to
do on a series I Land Rover, so I've had an opportunity to study the problem a
little bit. The problem with a squeezer in the case of the shroud to boot
surround rivets on a Healey is that the ends of the rivets are within a sheet
metal "C" section that is difficult or impossible for any standard shape of
squeezer (like a pair of pliers) to access. The shroud to boot floor rivets
are a little easier to access. In the case of the tougher ones I think a set
of snaps makes more sense. That is a set of punches with reliefs of the shapes
of the rivet heads machined in. The idea is to drive the rivet head using one
snap and to buck it with the other. If the recesses are the correct shape and
the rivets are the right length they should form a perfectly shaped head on
both ends. Well, we can always dream... In a case where access is tough you
can use a bucking bar with the head shape machined in several places so that
one is likely to allow access. Using a snap set is a two man job unless you
have a powered riveting tool and then you need someone to position the bucking
bar if it is not in a really easy place to access. The bucking bar should be
fairly massive to provide the inertia needed to set the rivet without
distorting the sheet metal.
The idea of threading the rivet is exactly opposite to what is needed. The
purpose of the rivet is to expand when it is set to fill the rivet holes and
provide positive contact and positioning. Pulling torque on the rivet will
tend to neck it or reduce its section and leave the sheet metal loose.It will
vibrate and the rivet will eventually wear away.
I found a lot of information on this subject on the internet. Unfortunately I
did not find a source of snaps and so I'm thinking about finding a tool and
die maker who likes my brand of beer.
Bill Lawrence