Re: [Healeys] A question

To: BJ8 Healeys <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] A question
From: Bob Spidell <bspidell@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 20:03:57 +0000 (UTC)
I think you need to let the current owner know the car's 'provenance' (after
first double-checking the info). Since it's now in a foreign country I think
that's all you can do. If it was in the States you might be obliged to alert
authorities.

I'm curious as to how the car passed through so many owner's if it's known to
have been stolen. Whatever you can say about our DMVs I think most would have
caught that.

bs

--------------------------------
Bob Spidell - San Jose, CA

Hello, Healeyphiles -

I just received a completed questionnaire
(http://www.britishcarforum.com/bj8quest.html) with the details of a BJ8 for
the registry. The owner (not in the USA) bought this car in 2007 and has a
record of 5 previous owners (all in the same country as the current owner).
This record takes the car back to 1990 and its arrival in the foreign
country. He asks if I have any previous history on this car during its time
in the USA. The car left the USA in 1990.

The only record I have of it is one from a foreign source in 2003 that says
the car was stolen from its owner's garage in 1993. I do not have any
contact information for that owner due to privacy concerns.

Just thought I would pose this to the list as an interesting situation, and
see what the consensus is on how I should proceed.

Thanks,
Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry