Re: [Healeys] Silicone vs Glycol (natural or otherwise) brake fluid

To: Editorgary@aol.com, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Healeys] Silicone vs Glycol (natural or otherwise) brake fluid
From: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 8:33:10 -0400
---- Editorgary@aol.com wrote:

Conclusions: Use glycol in cars that are driven frequently, but be very
careful when you refill the system so you don't spill it on your paint, and
change it regularly. Use silicone in show cars that are driven less hard and
infrequently.

______
I just can't help myself, I guess.  Anyway, here goes.  I have been using
silicone, as I said, in my Healey and E-Type for YEARS---and
1.  I drive them both frequently---took the Healey all over Europe for 47 days
a few years ago--using silicone fulid.
2.  When I added the silicone years ago, I just flushed out the old DOT 4 and
put in the silicone.  So---there was some residue of DOT 4 in the system.  ZERO
leaks in at least 12 to 14 years.
3.  You say---"Use silicone in show cars that are driven less hard and
infrequently."  OK---for exactly what reason?  As I said, my cars are "drivers"
and I drive them frequently and pretty hard.  Give me technical data to support
this statement.

The only technical data I have seen against silicone use is in racing where the
brakes get hot and silicone tends to make the brakes fade fast.  I'm not racing
mine, so the benefits of using it far outweigh the reasons not to use it.

Over and out:)

Tom
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html