Re: [Healeys] still too hot...

To: Tom Felts <tomfelts@windstream.net>
Subject: Re: [Healeys] still too hot...
From: Oudesluys <coudesluijs@chello.nl>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 18:39:25 +0200
If the Jeep is a "modern" car the gauge will always be bang smack in the
middle whatever the real temperature is unless it is really way off and
it will be to late to do anything about it. This is to prevent people
worrying. Look at any modern car and the gauges will behave all the
same. They are very insensitive, just for show and absolutely useless.
Give me the old fashioned one so that I can see what is coming. Make
sure though it is accurate.
When you run a 6lbs cap the boiling point will be around 230F, 9lbs cap
gives ca. 238F, 10lbs gives ca. 240 and a 12lbs cap will give ca. 245F.
This is with water. As you will undoubtedly have proper coolant in your
engines these boiling temperatures will in reality be a bit higher
So there is no problem at all with 212F/100C.
Many people have a thermostat that opens much to early, even as low as
70C. It is better to have a thermostat opening at around 86C. Saves your
engine, gives better mileage and a better running car. Cooling capacity
is not influenced but you have a smaller buffer in dense traffic.
Kees Oudesluijs
NL

Tom Felts wrote:
> Hi Bob.  I run generally at 190, but my point was an occasional peak to 212
> isn't going to harm your car.  If that were the case, it seems they would make
> 212 the "peg" point on the gauge.  My Jeep runs all the time at 212-215 and
> that is smack in the middle of the normal range.
>
> I am fortunate to have a healthy cooling system on the Healey, but, anyone who
> has a Healey will know that 212 is not unusual in hot weather--esp S&G traffic
> when the temp is in the 90's.
>
> I do agree that a constant 212 is not normal and indicates a problem
> somewhere.
>

> Regards
> tom

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type text/x-vcard which had a name of
coudesluijs.vcf]
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html